The Autism Spectrum Condition Health Checks locally commissioned service is looking to improve the experience of primary care for people who have autism (including Asperger’s Syndrome), support young people with autism to prepare for adulthood (in line with the duties of the clinical commissioning group under the Special Educational Needs and Disability Reforms 2015) and help prevent ill health by identifying health issues early so that they can be treated, thus improving the health outcomes of people with autism.
The outcomes we are aiming for are to:
- Collect improved data on those living with autism in Islington, to improve commissioning and support
- Identify and provide early treatment for health issues, improving health outcomes for the patient
- Enable practice staff know how best to communicate with people with autism
- Increase awareness in practices of how the environment can affect the experience of a person with autism
- Help practices know who in their practice has a diagnosis of autism, enabling them to support the patient in the most appropriate and effective way for that person
- Help make people with autism feel comfortable attending their GP surgery.