Update: Requirements for Booking Covid Vaccinations for Patients at NCL GP Sites
Practices will be aware that wave 1 dose 1 Covid vaccinations are underway at Bingfield Primary Care Centre with wave 2 starting at Hanley Primary Care Centre on Friday 18 December. The Islington GP federation has communicated with practices directly but would like to reiterate a few key points.
- It is extremely important that practices book dose 2 with the patient when they are booking dose 1
- It is also important that dose 2 is scheduled for exactly 21 days after dose 1. This is because the guidelines state that the gap between dose 1 and dose 2 must be a minimum of 21 days, which means that for every second dose booking with a gap of 22 or 23 days, there will be unusable slots with gaps of 19 or 20 days.
- Please advise patients to arrive ON TIME: not early and not late.
- Please advise patients to plan for their safe journey home so that they can leave the site promptly once vaccinated.
- Please advise patients that they may have to wait outside for a short period before being admitted as we need to limit the numbers inside the building – we will of course keep waiting times as short as possible.
- Please ask patients requiring translation services either to bring a translator with them or have one available by phone – we can access language line but it can take a while to organise so is best avoided if possible.
- Patients who may have difficulty giving informed consent (eg with dementia) should have someone with them to support the consent process.
- Patients with queries about vaccination times should NOT be advised to contact either the federation or the vaccination site itself – they should always contact the home practice and practices may therefore wish to construct a simple spreadsheet to provide easy ongoing access to patients’ booked vaccination times.