Whittington District Nursing Phlebotomy: Service Update
Following a successful community phlebotomy pilot Whittington Health District Nursing Phlebotomy services are in the process of moving to SunQuest ICE.
The aim of the pilot was to change the referral route for community housebound phlebotomy from the normal district nursing triage route (Arti), to direct requesting via the SunQuest ICE system. The new referral route aims to streamline the process for both GPs and district nurses and was rolled out to all Islington practices from 14 September 2020. All practices were engaged at the time for their feedback.
GP practices currently experiencing issues with obtaining SunQuest ICE licenses, should continue to use the Arti referral route until their system issues are resolved. The CCG is aiming to ensure all practices have SunQuest ICE installed by end of November. Once training has been delivered and practices are able to request phlebotomy for their housebound patients referrals from Islington GPs for blood tests will no longer be accepted through the traditional route.
Please ensure your practice follows the existing DN phlebotomy criteria:
- 0-2 WEEK PHLEBOTOMY REFERRALS ONLY (ANYTHING SUBSEQUENT, REFER NEARER TO THE TIME).
- All urgent referrals are seen within minimum 48 hours.
- PATIENT CONSENTED REFERRAL ONLY
- PATIENT OVER 18 YEARS WITH IDENTIFIED NURSING NEED
- HOUSEBOUND / AMBULANT (EXCLUDING MOBILE/NON-HOUSEBOUND)
- PATIENT SHOULD RESIDE WITHIN THE BOROUGHS OF ISLINGTON AND/OR HARINGEY
Please note: All other DN referrals i.e. eye swabs, injectables, flu jabs must go via the normal District Nursing referral route. Please note that we would not accept a BP check as an individual request via SunQuest ICE.
- We ask that GPs ensure they select their required tests at the same point of selecting the Community Phlebotomy referral tick box on SunQuest ICE (see image). This will allow the team to determine which tests are needed.
- Please could practices ensure that only one request is added, as there have been issues with duplicate referrals (e.g. one request by receptionist and a further one added by the GP on the same day).
EMIS Web/SunQuest ICE user account request/deactivation form
DOCX, 27.49 KB