The NHS e-Referrals Service (e-RS) combines electronic booking with a choice of place, date and time for first hospital or clinic appointments.
Paper Switch Off is the requirement for all GP referrals to consultant-led first outpatient appointments to be made via e-Referrals.
Paper switch off (PSO) overview:
- GP referrals sent to consultant-led clinics must be done via e-Referrals (e-RS), and no longer accepted by other routes (e.g. email, fax)
- does not include diagnostics, mental health, maternity, local exclusions
- routine referrals go via CHI RSS (formerly known as CCAS)/e-Referrals for most specialties apart from MSK
- MSK specialties
- Urgent referrals (non-2WW) booked directly to the hospital via e-Referrals by the GP Practice
- 2WW booked directly to the hospital via e-Referrals by the GP Practice
See Downloads section for referral guidance and information.
e-Referrals t: 020 3182 1774
Camden MSK t: 020 3447 5452 x75452
Haringey and Islington MSK t: 020 7288 3317