The social prescribing service provide support and information to patients who have social or economic issues that affect their health and wellbeing. Social Prescribers take a holistic approach and give time to their patients to identify what matters most to them and what they feel they need to improve their circumstance and their wellbeing. From these conversations, social prescribers co-create an action plan with the patient to help them self-manage their concerns and signpost to appropriate services.
See Downloads for a list of all Barnet GP practices that offer social prescribing.
- adults (18+) who have a non-medical issues* that is affecting their health and wellbeing
- registered with a Barnet GP practice
- Patient consent required
* Activity & support groups/ befriending, addiction support, anxiety & depression, benefit support, bereavement support, cancer support, carer support, counselling, covid-19 support, debt support, dementia support, diet & nutrition, disability support, domestic violence support, education infomation, employment support, falls support, financial advice, food support, housing infomation, learning disability support, loneliness/ isolation, mobility aids, parental support, physical exercise, refugee & asylum seeker advice, welfare support.
- severe and unstable mental health disorders
How to refer
The following clinicians can refer to this service:
GPs, other health professionals, practice reception staff
Referral methods: EMIS managed referral
Referrals are generated through EMIS via the elemental spx route as this referral is then generated into the new referrals listed on elemental, which is the social prescribing case management platform.
- Find the patient you wish to refer on emis and click on “my record”.
- On the left hand side you will see a button called elemental SPx, click on this.
- You will then see to the right hand side of the screen, add new express referral, click on this.
- Confirm patient details are correct as these auto-populate from EMIS.
- Add your PCN Hub under "refer to centre" (this then repopulates the establishment / the surgery).
- Continue down the referral and add the reason (which auto-populates) or click on other to free text.
- Add any additional needed to support the referral such as: medication needs, risks associated with the patient, or additional information such as hard of hearing, needs translator or speak with patients carer etc.
- Click the box to state the patient consented.
- Click generate the referral once ready to submit.