Short-term specialist support and treatment for those aged 70+ who are experiencing a mental health crisis. Provides a rapid response, time-limited intervention for older adults in a mental health crisis, delivered in a person’s home.
Service can provide:
- daily home visits for support and treatment for up to six weeks
- support 365 days of the year
- multidisciplinary assessment
- support and advice for family carers
- medication management
- occupational Therapy
- treatment for physical health issues
- support to facilitate early discharge for inpatients mental health wards (e.g. Highgate Mental Health Centre)
The service aims to assess within four hours of receiving a referral (depending on the identified risks) and work with clients for a period up to 6 weeks, with initially daily visits if tolerated, with an aim to reduce these gradually.
The team consists of mental health nurses, one OT and one discharge coordinator for Older Adults admitted to Highgate Mental Health Centre and an assistant practitioner, with input from a consultant psychiatrist (0.5 WTE)
- Patients aged 70+
- Patients with confirmed diagnosis of dementia (if the patient is under 70 but has non-alcohol related dementia we would accept the referral)
- Those at risk of admission to Highgate Mental health Centre during a mental health crisis (both functional and organic clients)
How to refer
The following clinicians can refer to this service:
Directly by telephone
t: 0333 200 7193
Please note: Acceptance of a referral does not always mean the team will work with the client. The team will offer an assessment and then make a decision. The outcome of the assessment will always be sent to the GP via nhs.net.